Looking around the internet you can’t help but notice that there are a lot of articles, suggestions, questions and so called methods of getting a flat stomach or building abs. But which ones work and which ones don’t?
The ab region by far the number one body part people would like to fix. And by that we mean get rid of the gut and replace it with the much desired 6 pack. The question is how do you really get there? Is it by dieting, is it by exercise or something else.
The Truth About Abs seeks to answer all these questions. In this article, we review this program created by Mike Geary and see what he has to say.
What is the Truth About Abs Program?
Unlike most diets that tell you how to lose weight for a specific time period, this program does not look to make a temporary change in your eating habits. Instead it looks to teach a better, healthier way of eating that lets you lose fat. This makes it something that is more permanent so you don’t gain back the weight after you stop.
By understanding what foods to eat and which ones make you fat, it lets us make a change in how we prepare our meals and what ingredients we use in them. This way, once we get use to this eating habit, you won’t gain back the weight and maintain your flat stomach.
Also included in the program is an exercise routine. However, it does not promote the ever so common long hours of cardio training. Instead, it uses shorter, easy to do workout sessions that fit more easily to our work, family or school schedules.
Eat Right for Abs
One of the most important takeaways from the book is that if you want to get abs, how and what you eat is the biggest thing you want to keep track of. As Mike mentions in the book, for most of us, we already have abs. The problem is what we see in the mirror is the layer of fat that covers our abs.
Let’s think about that for a second. Remember your skinny friend. Everyone has a skinny friend or knows someone like that. When they take their shirts off, they always seem to have abs, right? They’re not muscular nor do they workout, but they have their six pack.
So why is that? It’s because they’re skinny, so we see their abs. Ours on the other hand aren’t visible to the human eye because the fat layer wraps above it.
So the solution is to lose that fat and make the abs show up. This is done by eating right, getting rid of the junk and unhealthy foods. Also, choosing the right foods that help increase our metabolism will allow it to burn fat quicker.
In the book, Mike lists the foods that promote fat burning and those that make us store fat. He also provides us with a good number of recipes to use.
The other aspect of removing that layer of fat is exercise. It comes in second to having the right diet, but really helps quicker the fat loss process.
When it comes to exercise, it has been shown that there are other ways of losing weight other than the long repetitive cardio exercises. The Truth About Abs doesn’t put us through the hours of doing the same treadmill run. Instead, it uses short, quicker exercise sessions that save time and help get resulst that are effective.
Summary of the Review
Drawbacks, Negatives and Things to Consider with this Program
- This is not a quick way, not an overnight solution. If you’re looking for something that will let you lose 30 lbs. in 3 days or a week. This is not the program for you. It takes time since the body changes slowly as you improve the diet. Nevertheless, you’ll see improvements in the first few days and first week of using it.
- You need to discipline yourself and change your lifestyle. It is not easy and you’ll have to change your shopping list, and the food you eat. If you didn’t exercise you’ll also need to start doing so.
What I Like About the Program
- Simply put, it works. It shows us something many of us aren’t aware of. The changes in the diet make a huge difference in fat loss and is something everybody can continue doing for a long time.
- The program explains how abs are really made. It tells us that diet is the most important aspect, and exercise is the second. We usually think it’s the other way around.
- The book also tells us what to eat and avoid. It gives us the recipes, meal plans and food lists to fix our diet.
- It focuses on healthy nutrition that’s good for us and not just something to get a flat stomach.
Anyone can do it can. And more importantly, everyone can continue doing it so maintain their lower weight. This way, you don’t suddenly gain all the weight back.
- It introduces us to a different way of working out that doesn’t take a lot of time to do.